View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
Brian in Tucson

Fill the reservoir with distilled water and leave the jug in the trunk, just in case. Take it someplace that has a lift so it can be inspected up in the air. It may be leaking somewhere up towards the front, right area of the engine--it's a bit of a rats nest of hoses there.

You should be okay to drive it to a shop, keep an eye on the temp gauge and shut it down if it starts to get abnormally hot. You do not want to risk overheating (don't ask me how I know.) Top it off with distilled water if necessary.

If the trunk carpet under the reservoir is wet, you need a new tank. If the car is dripping coolant out of the area under the right rear fender, you need a new tank. If it's dripping in the area just behind the right rear wheel, that's an overflow.

In the US, you can get a tank from a variety of sources for a vast range of prices. The one I'm using was $50 from Amazon, and it seems to be identical to the OEM. If you end up replacing the tank, consider replacing the coolant level sensor, too. Pelican Parts seems to have all the various hoses--or they can get them quickly. No idea what the shipping would be, tho. Probably pretty spendy.

Our cars take a silicate free coolant. I have no idea what's available to you. Modern euro car coolant will do, so will Asian coolant. Here in the the US, Prestone Dexcool compatible seems to be okay.

I feel your anxiety and pain, man. Been there, done that.:dance:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote