View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
z12358

I remember seeing a thing called "trickle charger" sold by Porsche. I think it's supposed to maintain the battery when the car is stored for a long time. The thing NickCats mentioned seems to be smth different -- a charger for when the battery is already dead. Or are they the same thing?

My S has a procedure in the manual on how to open the hood when the battery is dead. It requires sending an electric pulse by shorting something on the left side of the driver's footwell.

I too am not clear as to what exactly I am going to do for the winter. The garage where I park it now has no power outlets, and it is likely that the car will be sitting there for more than a month undriven in winter (in case of no sunny, dry weekends). Shall I consider unplugging the battery? What is that going to do to the car's electronic systems when I connect it back in? Is starting the engine and idling it for few minutes every week or two good or it's better left alone? I've also read somewhere (maybe here) that it's good to overinflate the tires and to push/move the car few feet every couple of weeks to change the sitting spots on the tires.

I'd be curious to learn how others have handled prolonged storage like this.