View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 AM   #12
DaveBBOXSTER

Garage
UPDATE - Took off ignition switch yesterday...Spent over an hour attempting to get at the two grub screws from under the dash with no success. It turns out the UK spec Boxster, being RH drive, has the screws in a position that they cannot be seen or felt from under the dash. Eventually took off the RH side vent cover (with the light switch below) and could at least see the grub screws from above, BUT they were coated in a red blob of something (Loctite or sealer) and the slots were hidden too...after gently scrapping it off I released them just enough to get switch out NEVER EVER TAKE THESE OUT FULLY NO NEED - Even working from above with one hand in vent hole of dash it took 15 minutes, as access is really tight!
Managed to break the plastic side air vent catch getting the vent cover out it caught or I was too careless. Did a bodge repair by drilling the flap where the little plastic ball should be and inserted a small screw plus spacer nut so it opens and shuts until I can get a new cover. I may leave it until it fails, as it's not visible.
Fitted new switch today (£15) and the wipers now work via the stick and the radio stays on BUT the heated mirrors stay on and cannot stop them via their switch or by taking the 5Amp fuse out! HOW CAN THEY CONTINUE TO WORKWITH NO FUSE IN?

This shows switch

Bodge fix repair to vent flap
View through vent flap on RH Drive UK car
DaveBBOXSTER is offline   Reply With Quote