View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
I love how everyone assumes this guy is out to do you wrong. You said you trusted the guy, why would he all of a sudden F- you for a few bucks?

Hunting down “rattles and knocks” in ANY car is a crap shoot at best. Unless you can physically put your hand on something and make it clunk, one way or the other, it is very difficult to pinpoint. If you trust this mechanic, call it good that he found the items that needed work, now it’s phase two... troubleshooting. Had they sold you parts to replace those that were truly not worn (a 99 is going to have worn suspension parts) then that would be a discussion. It sounds like they are willing to work with you, so I’m not sure what they can do?

Here is a little story, I have a lifted Jeep Liberty that makes a distinct clunk upon braking that NO ONE can figure out. I have replaced basically the entire front end (needed it anyway) shocks etc. CV’s, wheels bearings have no sign of slop or play. Yet, it still clunks. Figuring out suspension (if its even a suspension issue) can be very hard. If I were you I would take a look at your steering components, often times these can be the source of noises.

While $$$ and frustrating, consider your new found front end tightness, which makes the car that much more fun!
Did you replace the strut mounts? That once was a source of a clunk in a previously owned vehicle of mine.