View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I don't bring my cars to a shop often, so maybe I'm just a bit ignorant here, but I don't see a problem. As a new customer bringing a car in for the first time, the shops I have used did a comprehensive check of the car, much like a PPI. I was given a list of recommended items to bring the car back to a factory-fresh baseline. The shops took time to go over the list and discuss each item: significance, urgency, and options.

I don't see how this shop has done anything but help speedyspaghetti get a better understanding of the condition of the car. I think they would be remiss if they did not give him a full list of their findings and recommendations. The next step should be discussing what needs to be done by the shop, what can be deferred, and what the owner can DIY.

That $15K is probably going to put it at a zero baseline for all maintenance with the Porsche recommended parts at $200/hr. Some new owners want that and will gladly pay. Should the shop only present that option to 'certain' customers?

Labor cost varies by shop and region. Here in Oklahoma, $200/hr would be high, but I see that number frequently on the Audi forums for East and West coast. Here I've paid around $125.