View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
Erlinrys

Yeah. Thanks!

I wish you good luck. It seems as we both may encounter some dilemmas. Good Luck you might need a new DME. Read this

Boxster 2000 (2.7L & 3.2 S)

"The Boxster 2000 chassis can accept any Carrera 996 3.4L engine, or can use any Boxster engine from 1997-2002. In 2003, Porsche switched to a vane-cell adjuster mechanism to control the variable camshaft timing, and this system requires the later DME running Motronic 7.8. Unless you upgrade the car to use the later DME (very difficult), you cannot use any 2002 or later 996 Carrera engine or any 2003 or later Boxster engine. You can swap in any replacement engine of the same displacement from 2000-02 without having to remap the DME. (I.E. a 2000 2.7L Boxster with a blown motor can accept a 2002 2.7L engine with no remapping needed). Installation of a 3.2 Boxster 'S' engine would be an easy installation, but would require an updated map for the DME.

These cars ran the Bosch Motronic 7.2 system, which uses an electronic throttle body, linked to an electronic gas pedal (also known as drive-by-wire). When installing an engine into one of these cars, you need to use an electronic throttle body and corresponding crossover tube that matches that engine. (I.E. use the electronic throttle body from a 2000 or later 996 Carrera when installing a 3.4 engine).

If for some reason, you want to back-date the engine to a smaller displacement 2.5L engine, then you will have to use the injection system and DME map from a 2.7L engine. The 2.5L engine injection doesn't have the extra cross-over tube on the intake, and also has the cable-driven throttle body, which is not compatible with the electronic throttle 7.2 DME.

Installing a 996/997 3.6 or 3.8 engine or 2003-08 Boxster/Cayman engine is very difficult on these cars, as you need to manually update many other systems in the car to get them to work properly. These later engines used Vario-Cam Plus, which is a system for controlling variable valve lift. You need to run Motronic 7.8 in order to control the variable valve lift properly. It is possible to run a piggyback computer that independently controls the variable valve lift, but this solution is not ideal and is complex to implement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I've never done the swap you're contemplating. If it were my car, if the 2.5 is running well, I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Some problems I see, you will have to use the automatic trans wiring. It's different from the manual, I believe. Your engine wiring will have to be transferred over.

Your 98 is mechanical throttle cable, the 01 is drive by wire so you may need to adapt the intake to use the older throttle body.

Will the trans bolt up? Don't know & don't know if you can transfer your flexplate over, either.

I'm in the process of putting an 00 to 02 2.7 into my 01 Boxster base with a 2.7. I know I'm gonna have to transfer the wiring over, and maybe the fuel rails. I guess I could have tracked down a 3.4, but it's all so complicated and I'm not an expert.

It seems to me, you're asking the wrong people. I would take a list of your questions and go see what your mechanic says. Your questions are valid concerns.
Erlinrys is offline   Reply With Quote