View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #9
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Make sure you get the VIN of the donor car so your local dealer can provide the passwords for the new DME and immobilizer...
When I buy a module from another car, or strip it out of a parts car, I print a label with the year/model/VIN and place it on the part. Additionally, I would advise you to box up the old parts you replaced (Key fob, immobilizer box, DME etc.) and keep them in case you or a future owner decide to revert it to original using the method that Particlewave advised.

On my first project Boxster I did what you did, buying an immobilizer/DME set and replacing the water damaged unit. I have had no problems or regrets - and no plans to sell the car.

Edit: Adding the following details for further reference:

To get the car running you need the following parts as a matched set:
  1. The transponder inside the head of the key fob. (Looks like a large grain of rice made of glass)
  2. The box under the seat AKA immobilizer box, M535, or “Central Locking Unit”
  3. The trunk ECU (called a “DME” in Porsche language).
Any key blade or screw driver that will turn the ignition switch will be fine as long as you have the other 3 elements listed above.

The rectangular module on the ignition lock in your picture is called “signal transducer”, or “signal transformer anti-drive off lock” depending on your source. The electronic signal for the security passes though it, but it is not coded in any way to a particular car. You can leave your current one in.

The other important issue is locking and unlocking the car. The key fob must be matched to the box under the seat for remote locking to work.
Here's some lock discussion that may be worth reading:
Unlockable car, ignition key okay
3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)

Before you try to start any flooded damaged car, (in addition to other checks) I highly recommend that you pull the spark plugs and crank it over until you are sure there is no water in the combustion path.

Here's some good discussion about repairing the immobilizer box:
The Nine8Six (the car) is dead, can't start

Last edited by 78F350; 12-19-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added more detail from PM discussion.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote