View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
MWS

The difficulty of trying to get to some of these things always makes me wonder "how would the dealer do this" as there MUST be an easier way. For example, many years back and on a different car, I needed to change an alternator...simple enough, bolt off bolt on, right? I bought a new one and the one to remove was easily visible, however the bolts (or at least one of them) were obscured. After much frustration, I ended up calling the dealer to asked, and the response was "how would WE do it, or how would YOU do it?" I asked how they would, they responded "pull the engine". Being younger and stubborn, I KNEW it could be done...and with several universal-joint socket extensions I set to work. Using a magnet I could seat the socket on the bolt, but then could maybe turn 1/16 of a rotation before I needed to remove/reset socket and then repeat. I eventually removed the single problem bolt, and then reversed the process to put in the new one. To just remove/reinstall ONE bolt took well over 5 hours, and in the process I created many new interesting words to describe my level of happiness felt towards the engineer who thought "this is a good placement".

Point is...well I guess there really isn't a point, except I feel your pain...and I am dreading that moment when I need to do mine.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote