View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
bmussatti

How Is Your Gas Mileage??

Porschekid, your comment about being "a weekend car" got me thinking about the following question that was recently asked on the PCA website:

"Question:

My average fuel economy has been approxiately 16 miles per gallon on a mixed loop.
The vehicle is driven seldom because I am retired with nowhere to go, except to the store.
Is this normal? It had its 30,000 mile inspection 2 years ago with no problems found.

Answer:

This seems low even for city driving.One thing to keep in mind though is how old is the gas? Gas that sits in a tank for more than 30 days without a stabilant will go bad. When a fuel starts to break down it will loose its combustion characteristics and not be as efficient.
You could have the car checked by a shop with a tester to make sure the MAF (Mass Air Flow) is not in a full rich mode. These will tend to either go bad or get a film on the sensor plate causing this. They could also check the O2 sensors to make sure they are operating properly at the same time.
One last item to check is for leaves and debris in the air filter housing. You will have to remove the air filter and make sure there is NO debris in it. Leaves and other items tend to fall in when the filter is removed. The filter is replaced and these items now are trapped inside the housing and obstruct the MAF.

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 8/21/2006"

So, how is your gas mileage? Could be stale gas??