View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBluff View Post
Reviving an old thread......I'm not afraid of taking on a long term project and so I'm looking at examples with over 100K and in the 0-8K range. Is a PPI still worth getting? I guess I'm looking for a $ cut off? 5K? 3K???
It *is* an old thread and values/warranty options have changed a bit since 2007.

I think that the cut-off $ depends a lot on who you are and what you are willing to gamble. I have never had a PPI done, but I'd highly recommend it for anyone (buying any Boxster) who is not planning to DIY major maintenance shortly after they buy it.
Personally I'll do my own PPI on a car for under $5k, not because (after buying 8 986s), I'm so smart, but because that's what I'm willing to gamble. At about $7K and up, I'd seriously consider a PPI, because I know I may miss an important issue. Buying a sports car can be ...emotional and it's good to have a 3rd party give an unbiased perspective.