View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #164
Oldcarguy

Did the DRL/foglight hack today with OPT7 H7 CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs and a toggle on/off switch. Very happy with the result. Some specific items:

- trimmed the hook off of the fuse tap that I used on relay post 86. Rounded the corners of the tap end and fine sanded lightly to ensure a smooth blade, re-bent to fit the relay body and taped the tap to the relay body. Goes in and out like butter and less likely to snag on or distort the relay socket

- used a dual fuse tap on A7 to get power. This insures both the original and new circuits are fused correctly. The fuse tap 'just' fits under the fuse box cover due to A7 being under the 'finger indent'. The cover still snaps securely into place.

- used a 25A toggle switch mounted to the foot well relay shield with 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener TB3550 so that I could have on/off control of the DRLs when I want it. 25A is overkill with the LEDs, but I wanted the switch to have the same capacity as the circuit.

- used insulated blade connectors for all connections.

Here's a couple of pics (the other fuse tap is for my Valentine 1 and BluTrznlt bluetooth):

I hope this helps to stop the zombies from pulling out in front of me.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 12-11-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote