View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have had good results with a regular 12 point socket wrench driven on with a hammer. I use it on the outer (smaller) part of the lug, not where the locking tabs are. Here's a post from a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
... The lug- key that came with the car worked great on the first three, then split as I was taking off the fourth. No hammering or abuse. It just reached the end of it's design-life and split. Glad I wasn't out on the road.

It's been covered on the forum before and I have done it quite a few times now with salvage cars. At home in my garage it's not a big deal.
-Take a 12 point 17mm or 11/16ths socket and drive it onto the lug with a hammer.
-Give it some short taps with an impact wrench, then spin it out.

My opinion of these lugs is that they do not provide any real protection and they do cause a potential hazard. Any competent thief can remove your wheels in less time than it would take for most people to find the lug key. If the lug key is lost or breaks while you are on the road, you are stranded. You can not change your tire until someone comes along with a tool to get it off.

Glad this happened today. It reminded me that I still have to replace the locking lugs with plain ones on one of my other cars.

Last edited by 78F350; 12-10-2017 at 07:36 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote