View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
boxfix

Fixing cowl plastic trim

The plastic trim piece between the windshield and the hood on my 2003 was popping up at the ends. You could push them down but they would pop up again. It looked a bit goofy.

I removed the small access cover and found that at the bottom of the "well" was a floor that was cracked and the 6mm nut with the built in washer was below the floor of the well......but it was not attached to the trim piece any more and not doing any good....so the trim piece/cowl would pop up at least and inch.

On the driver side I had enough material on the floor to make a big washer out of carbon fiber sheet that fit in the bottom on the well. I drilled a hole in the center and put in back on the stud and reinstalled the nut/washer.....Problem solved the new washer pulled the trim piece down in place. Everything tight and cowl trim down nice and low where it should be.

The passenger side was a bit more complex. Almost no "floor" on the edges to push down on. I made a new piece out to the same carbon fiber sheet material , but in this case I had to use JB weld to glue the new floor in place. I managed to pull the trim up enough to use masking tape to hold the carbon piece in place and to for a mold so the JB weld would not escape. I mixed up a batch of JB and glued everything in place. After drying about an hour I drilled a new hole in the center and put the nut/washer back on along with another carbon fiber washer just to be safe.

Now the cowl trim look like it fits again.

You can get a new piece from our sponsor for something like $156. If this does not hold I will opt for that.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner

Last edited by boxfix; 12-07-2017 at 03:27 PM.
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote