View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #300
Brian in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHunter View Post
Hi all,

I am also brand new to the forum. Two weeks ago I purchased an '04 Boxster S 550 Spyder 50th anniversary edition from a Porsche dealership for slightly less than $19000, 32k miles. Apparently there were only 1953 of these 550 Spyder 50th anniversary edition models manufactured, and only 500 were sold in the US. The car has obviously been immaculately maintained, looks fantastic and drives like a dream. The deal seemed almost too good to be true. With all things that seem too good to be true there's usually a catch, and after searching around on the internet I've discovered what that catch is.

From my research it seems the 2001-2005 Boxsters have the highest rate of IMS failure, and the rate of failure in the '04 50th anniversary edition Boxsters and 911s is exceptionally high. Basically it seems it's not a question of if the IMS failure will occur, but when. Basically this car is a ticking time bomb that could blow up at any time. I was a tad irked at the dealership's failure to disclose the known manufacturing defect in these engines to me at the time of purchase, but in hindsight not surprised.

So after some deliberation, I've elected to have the replacement LN bearings installed, and while they are doing the replacement the RMS seal will be replaced and the oil changed. Total cost of doing this is $2500, which seems a worthwhile investment to me. The car is back at the dealership now as I write this having this work done. I'm also in the process of purchasing a 5 year extended warranty on the power train, at a total cost of $3400.

I have to say that it's really a shame to find out that such a beautiful car that's such a blast to drive, made by such a premier brand name as Porsche, has such a disastrous design flaw and checkered history. It's been even more dismaying to read about Porsche's callous response to those affected by the catastrophic failure of these engines out of warranty. Certainly has negatively affected my opinion of the brand name. Hopefully, after the bearing replacement I'll be able to enjoy driving the car worry free for years to come, but this will always stay in the back of my mind. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Dream on, Ed.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote