View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Has anybody had an issue with taping the transponder to the key barrel rubber surround? ...
I did a quick test today using my '01 Tiptronic. The transponder is stuck on the rubber surround just to the right of the connection for the coil.
  • I pulled off the transponder and tried to start the car: No crank.
  • I put the transponder back and started the car: Normal start.
  • While it was running I moved the transponder away: Kept running, no indication of a problem.
  • My current curiosity is: With no transponder, can you roll the car, put it in gear, pop the clutch and drive it away? Maybe another day on my '99.
Here's the DIY I made a while back: DIY: Making cheap spare keys

Update:
I just tried the experiment with my manual transmission '99.
  • Set-up - The transponder is still in the normal key, but I also have a key which has been cut, without transponder.
  • Procedure - I started the car with the no-transponder key by holding the 'good' key close by. I then set the 'good' key on the passenger seat and drove the car around the block. I stopped at the top of a gentle slope and turned the key off. Rolling the car forward, I turned the key on and popped the clutch in 2nd gear. No start and Check Engine Light came on. I started the car with the 'good' key and returned to the slope. With the good key and the same procedure, it started right up.
  • Conclusion - The immobilizer does not simply disable the starter. There is logic in the DME/ECU that will prevent a start, but allows a running engine to continue running.

356Guy, did you resolve your question with PW's 3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?) ?
Not the Bergville specifically, but many of these kits have the same internals.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote