View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilw View Post
Just got it installed. Used a GAHH/Sierra/AutoTopsDirect with the glass window option. First impressions are:

1) Looks good overall.

2) That said, looks a little odd since the rear window is half the normal height. I don't know that anyone not familiar with 1st gen Boxsters would notice. On the one hand, does help make the car look much more "new", but also adds a bit of an "odd" look. Thus I'm a bit mixed on the look, but happy overall.

3) Top seemed to fit well. My experienced installer didn't have anything negative to say about it and was happy that it did have the glass option.

4) It is quieter even though I didn't get the acoustical fabric. Just plain less noise.

5) The rear window is very tough to see anything with the rearview mirror. It is short/low enough that I can see the grill and bumper of someone fairly close to me, but I wouldn't be able to see a police lightbar or if someone was flippin' me off! Really requires good use of the side mirrors. That said, at least the view through the window is very clear since it is now glass.

Thus, after a few days, my overall feeling is that I am happy with it. It does make the car look and sound better. There are compromises, but I guess that's part of owning a 1st gen model. If I wanted to spend $35k, I could upgrade to a 981. So this is definitely a lot less money!

Hope this helps anyone else considering a new top.

I think it looks great!

If you don't mind the inquiry, how much out the door, lock/stock/barrel parts and labor?
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote