View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
since95

2000 986S for HPDE suggestions

Just picked up a 2000 986S last weekend. Long time owner of Porsche cars. Bought the Boxster after owning 70-911T, 84-911 Cab, 81-930, 96-993, 87-944 project for my daughter. Traded the 993 on a Gallardo, which I love, but Lambo is too expensive for me to want to track, so picked up the 2000 Boxster S with 96,000 miles.

Got a great deal, but no service records, which I don't really care about since I planned to completely go through any car I bought and do all fluid flushes, street-able track brake pads, extra wheels for track tires, plugs/coil packs, IMS/RMS/Clutch, X51 or equivalent oil pan, polyrib belt, and alignment. This car sounded fine, no engine noises, engine ran stong, suspension is tight, brakes work like a Porsche should. Cosmetically I think the car got hurt by some sun damage to the paint, and some worn seats, and of course the no service records. Dealer was looking to sell heading into winter, so from a cost standpoint, I got the car cheap enough I am not worried about most things I may need to do, and can do most everything myself.

So I have a few questions/looking for feedback on the following:
1. throw on the shifter seems pretty long, so thinking of going short shifter - any feedback? I've also read some threads about shift cables/linkages anything I should do there?
2. seats are tired and drivers reline function not working (switch feels broken), any suggestions on recline-able track seats that fit car. It looks like there are lots of options out there that are actually cheaper to buy new than buying a used set of Porsche seats which likely are tired too, but the head rest fits inside the roll bar, so don't want to buy something that won't fit.
3. car seems pretty low, so how can I tell if suspension has been changed? Looks to be Porsche parts, but can't tell if it is ROW M030. Car option tag does not show 030 code. My 993 looked like an SUV with the US spring kit, this Boxster doesn't look like it needs to be dropped, so thinking someone may have replaced suspension. The plan was to install the ROW or PSS9 suspension kit in anything I got, but just looking for some way to confirm what is in the car now.
4. lots of threads about using Porsche transmission oil. I use Redline MT90 in Gallardo, wife's Miata, daughters 944, and seems to be real good. What is best option for Boxster, stay with the Porsche fluid? I've read it does matter, but Pelican lists Porsche plus 4-5 different brands of 75W90, then also Redline MTL. In the Lambo most of the opinions were split between MT90 and MTL, so I went MT90 since it seemed recommended in the Miata and 944 forums. Would love to stay common with all the cars, but no issues using what should be used.
5. car is currently running 17s. Since I want to get a separate set of wheels for track vs street so I can run appropriate tires for each what is the better size for the track? I have read where there are more tires available for the 17's but better tires for the 18's.

Any other feedback for prepping the car for some track time. Just getting started, and planning to still drive the car on the street a bit, so not looking for full race car prep. If I decided to go more heavily into track driving I will likely get a newer Cayman a couple years from now (for the IMS-less motor and hardtop). This Boxster S was to balance the cost of tracking something with what the wife was willing to let me spend right now I got a great deal on the car, so I have some room to do upgrades, just don't need to go too nuts with it.
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote