View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Topless
Track rat

Garage
A few data points from the left coast:

My brother and I ran 8 weekends at the track this year with a few AX days sprinkled-in. I down-classed running narrower tires in 200 TW and he up-classed running Z214 (40TW) for timed runs. We both run street/rain tires for most practice laps to save $$ but they need to stand up to the abuse of continuous lapping.

My setup is stock struts, lowering springs, GT3 arms with -2.6 F and -2.0 R camber. Car is otherwise stock at a portly 3150 lbs.

RE-11 (no longer available) was my practice/rain tire this year. They are only 1/2 gone after a full season and maintained their composure well even in very hot days. A worthy DE tire that was easy to live with if not the fastest.

RE-71R was my comp TT tire this year and I like it a lot. As fast as NT-01 and an excellent rain tire. They feel great on track but wear quickly. I only get about 25-30 HC before they are corded compared with 40-50 HC for NT-01. Often 2 seconds faster than my RE-11 but on hot days they looked like I hit them with a cheese grater as the tread granulated quickly. Good enough for another PCA Z8 Championship so I will probably run them again next year.

Danny has a lot more car with 3.8L Vision motor, JRZ, GT3 A arms and more camber so he is better suited for sticky rubber. He ran Hankook RS-4 as a practice/rain tire and Z214 for comp TT sessions. The RS-4 is very similar to the RE-11 in being a good DE tire that holds up well to continuous lapping. The Z214 were 5 seconds faster under ideal conditions but are only really good for about 15 HC before they turn to stone. He was plagued with car troubles this year so in spite of a couple class wins he missed 1st place in the series. Hopefully the car is sorted now so better luck in 2018.