View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Oldcarguy

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it??

I identified two marginal items when I bought my 986 last Feb. In my mind, both qualify for preventive maintenance fixes which I’ve decided *not* to address while the car is down for winter. She’s running great, no codes, no symptoms, with no changes in these values since I first took readings last Feb (about ~1,200 miles ago). I’ll put less than 2,000 miles a year on her. She spends a lot of time in the 3,000 - 6,500 rpm range.

What do you guys (guys being a gender neutral term in our house) think about my decision not to preemptively address these items? Money / time / expertise is not an issue, I just do not like to disturb things that are working well.

Camshaft Deviation (Rock steady at all RPMs)

Action plan - monitor this throughout the driving season and address it if it approaches 6.0. I’m somewhat surprised by the difference in the bank 1 and bank 2 readings.

AOS

No symptoms of a bad AOS, but my vacuum readings are marginal. ~7.4 on cold start, settling at ~7.0 at cold idle and ~6.4 at operating temp idle.

Action plan - replace immediately if further vacuum increase or manifestation of symptoms. Hesitant to replace preemptively due to the apparent number of ‘bad’ new OEM AOS units.

Not looking for validation for my course of action, just want to throw it out there to see what the thoughts are [emoji106]

Rgds, Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 11-03-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote