View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
oranje

Smile Tail of the Dragon - WAY COOL!

Was in Asheville, NC for a work meeting, so couldn't resist taking the extra hike and going to visit the Dragon.

All I can say is: WOW! I'm originally from Europe and have been to a bunch of twisties in the Alps etc., but this road is absolutely over the top! Most roads leading up mountains have hairpin-straight-hairpin etc... layouts - not the Dragon... Some of the stretches have 10 or so turns without any straights worth mentioning. The road dips nicely in the corners as well - as if designed for Boxsters! Road surface, unlike many other roads in NC, is just about perfect!

I was going between 4,000 and 7,000 revs in 2nd most of the time (std. Box, 5 gears) - Great sound! I had PSM on and off at times, and found the car easier to push through tight corners with it off, but you do have to be a little more careful.

I was lucky to be there on a weekday, as weekends go pretty nuts from what I understand. Many bikers on the road, most are cruisers, some are racers. I went once in each direction, and must say NC->TN was my favorite direction.

Tons of other cool roads around there as well, many less crowded. The 5 hour drive home after this, most of it interstate, was rather dull...

Also, don't make too much of an effort preparing to make action shots; there are at least 3 entrepreneurial bikers that take pictures of all cars and bikes and post them on the Internet to buy. I'm waiting for my HQ pics, but here's a sample of what's to come.