View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #35
Brian in Tucson

Never thought I'd have one.

I have an base, 2001 Boxster, 2.7L engine, tiptronic. As Boxsters go, it is pretty stripped, and fairly low miles at 74,500 miles. It was cheap ($3200) and quite forlorn. Total wreck seats, not a great top, no top electrics, windows that didn't work, no glass in the side mirrors, blown front shocks, needs boots on the CV joints, leaky coolant tank, fubar cooling hoses from the cooling tank, full of our local tap water because it leaked coolant. Overheating. Engine leaks oil, I figure it's the spark plug tubes (parts on the way.)

Hard for me to believe that such a low mileage car could be in such horrible shape. And in hindsight, I guess I was thinking "how bad can it be?" It was pretty bad.

Radio didn't work, the cup holders & cd storage were so ugly, the display for the climate control was dying and scratched up. & of course it needs paint.

But, it ran well, fun to drive and if I squinted my eyes I could see the potential.

Almost 3 months later, I've fixed the cooling problems (new tank & hoses, flushed the system twice & refilled and bled the new Dexcool coolant,) replaced the obsolete, dead radio with a modern double din Pioneer (threw away the cupholders in the dash and the disc storage in the lower dash--installed a block off plate. Rebuilt the climate control display, replaced the window regulators, fixed the power door locks, installed a led voltmeter in the left cig. lighter spot. Replaced the seats and top, downloaded the diagram of the fuses, and wired the radio to a key on circuit. All the latches work and are in good shape, car doesn't eat its battery overnight.

CV boots are here and waiting for installation, shocks are still blown, brake wear lite is still lit. Interior looks clean and nicely modernized and sorted. The car itself is driving really well.

Someone told me there's no such thing as a cheap boxster. It's true, but with the internet, there are less expensive parts available and if you can do you're own work it's not so bad.

I never thought I'd have a Boxster, but three months in on an intense project car, I can say it's one of my dream cars!:dance:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote