View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Ad Sach

First... Congratulations on your car!

The Rain Forest Green is a beautiful color. Looking at paint ships before ordering, the green was not very interesting. After 2 years of Boxster ownership RainForest Green and Cobalt Blue would be high on my list.

re: "I usually stay in the 3000-4000 range. Any thoughts?"

For the 1st 6 months, I usually stayed about 3500 RPM, including cruising on the freeway. Now that I have 32,000 miles with Sonja, I have learned that fuel mileage in Freeway cruising is much better at the lower RPM that still allows you to accelerate smoothly - usually somewhere around 2600-2800RPM.

The power occurs between 4500-7200 RPM (on the S), For spirited driving, rapid acceleration, race tracks, I believe the RPMS should be kept in the power band.

These cars have an electronic limitter that won;t allow the driver to accelerate to a higher RPM than the engine can handle. If one is careless and picks the wrong gear, it is possible to overrev the engine with the clutch - this can destroy your engine - so obviously you want to be careful in downshifting.

I found it helpful to memorize the maximum speed in each gear. This was done by watching the spedometer while accelerating in each gear. For my 02 S, I have read 1-42, 2-75, 3-99, 4-125, 5-150, 6-+.

Enjoy your car!
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote