View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
z12358

Detailing, clear-coat care

I browsed through some old threads on detailing here (and some on autopia) and couldn't find an answer to a basic question I have.

I rarely see people here (and, say, autopia) discuss how much a certain abrasive process (washing with Dawn, claying, polishing by hand, by a machine, etc.) irreversibly eats up layers of the original clear-coat. The way I understand, swirl marks aren't really "removed", are they? Clear-coat is actually stripped to even out with the bottom of the swirl channel, right? One definitely removes more clear-coat with a machine than by hand, right?

I mostly read about "results" such as how much the car sparkles and shines after a process has been applied, but would be curious to learn if there is a way to estimate at what level of "clear-coat consumption" that has been achieved. Haven't found one so far.

I've had my black 987S for three months now, have bought a reasonable amount of detailing products, have some more on order. So far have been washing it with the Porsche (P21S?) wash soap, waxed it with the Porsche (P21S?) wax, and then after a month or so re-waxed it with Meguiars NXT wax. Used the Porsche wax on the wheels, as well, and that has kept away break dust and rust very well. Still haven't clayed it (I cringe by the very sound of it) nor have I used any abrasive polish (I have the 3M Hand Glaze). The whole front (bumper, hood, fenders) is clear-bra-ed and I only use Plexus for that half of the car. Still unsure as to what my routine shall/will be and with what products. My goals in order of priority are:

1. least time-consuming (my GF feels entitled to a massage of equal time-length )
2. least clear-coat consuming
3. longest lasting protection
4. nice shine

My situation:
The car is stored inside during the workweek and parked outside and driven every weekend -- quite a lot! I can probably get away with spending 1hr per weekend "massaging" it -- beyod that it eats up too much into my driving time and GF time for the weekend.

Any suggestions?
Thx.