View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
xavier405

This is a good thread and I totally agree that Be Safe is the mantra here. I am about to pose a technical question but let me be clear I am not trying to argue that plugs are safe, I'm just trying to understand...!

It makes sense that 1) heat build up is bad, and 2) a plug/patch adds mass to act as a heat sink and retain that heat. But my question is how severe is the heat build up at 60, 70, 80 mph really? The rubber cement is designed to survive sustained heat and loads at 150mph. The energy at these speeds is much more than the energy at 75mph thanks to 1/2 mv2 plus dynamic vibration plus any other forces I don't think of. And while the plug adds mass, does it add that much more mass? The heat load at 75mph at the plug itself must be many times more than normal, to match the heat a tire would see at 150mph.

I'm sure there are lots of variable like have been mentioned, the quality of the fix, the size of the patch. So there is a good likelihood that you have a BAD fix and have to lower your speed! That said, DO NOT drive a plugged tire at any great speed! This is not worth experimenting with!
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote