View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
So, what your saying is it wasn't such a good idea for me to be doing 150+ mph on a plugged rear tire a few months back. I guess it's a good thing I'm replacing those things soon. A blow out at those speeds wouldn't be pretty.
Hi,

Absolutely not a good idea. A repaired Tire should not exceed 65 MPH, 55 MPH for a sustained drive.

Heat is the enemy and with a plug/patch, that area of the tire has more mass and therefore greater heat retention to that localized area, it sheds this heat at a lesser rate than the rest of the tire.

This heat build-up can cause the rubber cement which holds the plug/patch to soften/loosen causing a loss of integrity to the seal of the plug/patch allowing air to leak.

Also, the dynamic forces can cause the plug/patch to work loose altogether, especially with an already softened glue. Also, there may have been severed cords from the puncture all adding up to a fair potential for disaster.

Now does this occur to each and every repaired tire? No. But, not every puncture is the same or every repair for that matter. Some hold better than others depending upon the degree to which the tire was compromised and
the skill and knowledge of the person repairing it. More repaired tires will fail in the manner described than not. Are you willing to take the chance with your car and your body (or those of others)? As I said, no one wants to throw away an otherwise perfectly good tire, but you have to realize that it is no longer perfectly good.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote