View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #20
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
After doing 100+ sets of these, I've found that 225f for 15 minutes is the ideal temp/time.

No sense in screwing around with a heat gun. I've had too many people come crying to me about melting their main outer lens by using the "heat gun and cardboard box" method and wanting me to fix it.
100+ sets, fine if you have a dedicated oven in the corner of the garage. I'm less fortunate on that priviledge. Got caugt once-too-many-time with my own headlight in the kitchen oven ~ at the time (I know... wicked stuff loll). If you would have heard her scream I swear you'd think someone was murdered. My right side devil got so distured he told me to stop immediately loll

Charles - the reasonaing behind the Box idea and lower temp (ambiant +25dC) is to prevent deformation. Not that 225F will 'automatically' deform the bosch assembly, but some of us (cheap-boxes operators!) feel more comfortable staying within <50% of the softening point of polycarbonate (lense) and PP (hsng). When force is applied while the unit is really hot, the chances of deformation are greater. We just need the sealant to 'unstiff', nothing else.

^ The amateur technique mind you

Not a Pro, will never be. Love learning new tricks that's all. God bess those who are allowed to oven their headlights... 12~15min and boom|done (way too easy in fact).