View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #3770
alynch

On the first oil change 18 months ago, I discovered some non-ferrous fragments in the pleats of the filter. Installed a spin-on adapter, filter magnets, and magnetic drain plug. Oil analysis showed lower than universal averages of metals except copper. Filled with Mobil 1 0W40. Next oil change still some non-ferrous fragments in the filter pleats but not as many as before. Very little build up on the magnetic drain plug or the inside of the metal filter housing. Oil analysis again showed lower than universal averages of metals except copper. Filled with JG BR30 in advance of a change to JG DT40.

I knew I really should have dropped the oil pan by this stage but have been putting it off for fear of finding something I didn't want to see. So, I booked Friday as a vacation day and took the plunge. Relief No metal particles in the pan. I did find a couple of pieces of gasket material, one in the pan and one in the oil pickup plus a small piece of plastic that looks like a piece of chain guide (bottom right-hand corner). Filled with JG DT40 and drove it like I stole it

Last edited by alynch; 10-03-2017 at 04:33 AM.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote