View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #41
AZ986S

Update on the engine failure.

I got the car back yesterday
The new (used) engine is running perfectly.
Oil pressure is as you would expect, and the most important is that it is back to normal values.

I set up the pulled engine on a stand today and the first thing I did was pull both scavenge pumps to see if they turn without effort or binding, and if there is any obvious damage. The reason for this is that valve keeper-like debris and other unidentified debris showed up in the bottom of my engine oil sump.

Bank 1: pump seemed to rotate by hand with little effort, but it would bind slightly every turn. That is not good to me. Should it not be a smooth rotation?

Bank 2: this is the suspect bank. When I pulled the pump, it will not turn by hand at all. I did not try to use a tool, but, obviously it turns otherwise the drive key would have sheared off. Then I looked inside the inlet side, and you can see damage from debris being ingested.

Here's a photo of that:

I plan on doing a leakdown test first and will pull the valve covers and inspect.

Best case: top end (head) rebuild?

Worst case: complete rebuild

As mentioned in earlier posts, the engine ran fine with no noises. The only issue I was chasing was low oil pressure at idle. Obviously, this was a ticking time bomb and I caught it in time to minimize damage.

I've done some work on engines, but never have touched an M96 (rebuild).
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote