Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
edevlin

Unhappy Flat Tires, Yikes!

I just got this troubling note from the PCA:

"Year: 2004
Total Mileage: 6500
Car Use: General

Question:
I just discovered a nail in the rear tire. Is this true that the tire has to be replaced and cannot be fixed.
Thanks

Answer:
Yes it is true. This applies to many manufacturers and to all "Z" rated tires and above. This is set do to the speed rating of the tires. Having a plugged hole in a tire at high speed can cause a catastrophic failure. Now as a temporary fix it would be possible to patch a hole in the center tread area. Under no circumstance would you ever plug or patch a tire with a hole in or close to the side wall. "

I did not know any of this about tire care with my Boxster. I have looked through the owners manual and such, I thought carefully, and did not know flat tires should not be plugged, at least not as a long-term repair.

When I got the car and took it in for service, there was a nail in one of the rear tires. The Porsche mechanic just pulled it out and did not repair it as it did not leak. He said nothing about being careful or looking out for the tire.

To make matters worse, a week or so later, I got a screw in my front tire which caused a slow leak. I got the leak plugged and have been driving on it since. Monday I go in for four new tires, sounds like I have been way overdue.....

Ed

2000 Boxster
Beatup Pirelli's
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote