View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #33
AZ986S

Update on the used engine swap.

My indy called and told me that the engine I acquired was a factory reman with the unserviceable IMS bearing. I think that would make it a 987 3.2 2006-2008. Now I know what the "major engine work was"! I asked about adding a DOF system to the bearing, but he advised against since it might drop the oil pressure, so all he did was remove the outer bearing seal for better engine oil lubrication. Apparently engines from 2006-2008 with the 3rd IMS bearing design that is larger are supposed to be more reliable... less failures. True or not?

Also, I was not happy when my indy told me that the parts shop I purchased the engine from had cut off the Variocam solenoid pigtail and there was nothing to solder to... so they had to pull the valve cover from both engines, and swap out the old for the new. Looks like Porsche wants $500 for that solenoid! Other than that, I had them replace the AOS, plugs, tubes, water pump and also swap out from the old engine the IPD plenum, 74 mm TB, underdrive pulley and other stuff I had installed.

It should be ready to pick up this Friday and I'll get to use my new trailer
Can't wait to try it on the track at Wild Horse Pass:dance:

I will buy an engine stand and start diagnosing the old engine with leakdown first, oil filter examination, and then get into pulling the valve covers since debris looked like valve keepers. Maybe, just maybe I can save the bottom end.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 09-20-2017 at 09:38 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote