View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #8
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
78F350, out of curiosity which platform is the NVG..?
I flew Blackhawks in the US Army with ANVIS-6 and -9 NVGs (Night Vision Goggles) and started using the AN/AVS-7 HUD (Heads Up Display) in the late 1990s in a unit that first tested them. I am a big fan of night vision/enhanced imaging systems and still fly with NVGs in civilian EMS. In the Army on a complex mission I preferred to fly at night and with the HUD so I could keep my focus outside the aircraft.
Here's a pic of Night Vision Goggles with the HUD. The right side shows the view with the HUD overlay:

Currently I'm flying a helicopter with a Garmin G1000 system (Bell 407GXP). The pilot screen shows an accurate synthetic terrain view that is good enough to land to a runway in an emergency without seeing outside the aircraft. Much better than flying on a pitch black night with just eyeballs and 'steam gauges' hoping that the ridges stayed below me and the clouds stayed above me.