View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 AM   #299
sfkjeld

Garage
Full circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRice View Post
All I know is that Porsche produced an inferior product with the Boxster S through the years in question with that IMS and its failure rate. I had a 2004 Boxster S with only 28,500 miles on it in mint condition, properly maintained at a Porsche dealership , and I still suffered that failure and was told that although senior management reviewed my case their final determination was "too f***ing bad". Needless to say I don't see where they deserve the kind of loyalty that they command since it obviously does not exist on their end.
Ten years ago, my 2000 S w/33k mi. blew up on the San Mateo Bridge, south of San Francisco. Immaculate car that I purchased from a retired banker in Phoenix. Perfectly maintained. I had it towed to Sonne Porsche in Marin for evaluation and what seemed my best hope to get some help from Porsche in its repair. Shop concluded an IMS failure. There was no repair or reconditioned motor option. Just a $15k new motor replacement. I had several calls with Porsche as they supposedly considered my case. After a week, Porsche 'was sorry to say' I was SOL. Plus a $500 tow and labor charge.

I was livid with Porsche. I had owned 3 911s, PCA member for 15 years. Nothing. Not a single part, not $ in labor, not even covering my tow or labor to determine the IMS failure. Total bastards. I sold the car as a roller for $9k after paying $21k 6 months earlier.

Spin ahead 10 years. I rode in a friends Boxster a few months ago. Forgot about that sound and feel. Next thing you now, I am perusing Craigslist. Next thing you know, I bought a very pretty 2000 base car in need of a clutch. Cheap. Brought it to a Porsche shop for a clutch, LN bearing and oil separator. Really love the little car. Motor sounds great and the rest is pretty tight for its age. Even have a hardtop. My family and friends think I am a full on idiot. Can't argue.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote