View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #32
AZ986S

Bit the bullet

After debating all the options and talking to my Indy shop owner that did lots of work on my Boxster, my co-worker that is a dedicated and very knowledgeable Porsche aficionado, and shopping around (including looking at $25K 2010 987.2 Boxsters), and going through all the stages of loosing your baby, I pulled the trigger today and acquired a used 3.2 engine out of a 2000 Boxster S from a reputable Porsche salvage yard here in Phoenix. The owner also knows and works with my Indy so that is a plus for me. The engine is very clean, no oil leaks. It was owned by an older gentleman that backed up on a light post, and so the insurance company totaled it. Hard to believe from the damage, just barely any damage on the rear bumper. Engine apparently had some major work done at 38,000 miles and was pulled at 63,000 miles. No details on the work done, maybe IMS? That year I am told has the dual row IMS bearing (1% failure rate?), so my mechanic will pull the IMS flange, oil filter and inspect. I think I'll just leave it in there if there are no signs of wear or abuse. I'm also told that you can't re-use (pull) an LN Engineering IMS bearing after it has been installed. I had a ceramic dual row pro IMS bearing installed on my car about 7k miles ago. Might consider one of the other oil fed IMS bearing offering out there if needed.

It's tempting to just want to upgrade everything on the motor since it is out, and I will certainly swap a bunch of stuff I already had done on the motor to the used one.

I'm going to load the car on the car trailer tomorrow (after installing the winch) and deliver it along with the used motor to my mechanic. I will probably have it back by the end of next week and in time for the first PCA DE of the season No break in required!

As for the pulled motor, I might consider attempting a rebuild during this winter and keeping it as a spare. Or, might part it out.
Hey maybe I'll get lucky and I only will have to pull the heads.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 09-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote