View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
drewmarc

Unhappy Vacuum leak and MAF problem?

I wanted to start off by thanking everyone who has contributed to this forum. I have done much of my research on here.

I will start from the top

About 6 weeks ago I was driving and while I was in low gears, I was hitting 4,000 rpms, but not getting the usual torque. I instantly knew something was wrong. I pulled to the side. Turned off the car, tried to start her again and she would idle for just a second then die. I ended up pushing the car about 100 yards to my apt (lucky i was so close).

CEL gave me error code for O2 sensors and the MAF. I purchased a refurbished MAF on ebay, and installed it, but the car wouldn't start with the MAF plugged in and Unplugged. I pulled out and cleaned the throttle body just to check if everything was good.

Ended up taking her to a shop. Mechanic told me the fuel pump was out. I purchased a fuel pump and put it in myself yesterday. Then it was time for the big reveal! I tried to start the car, and she started, but again, couldn't idle. If I had my foot on the gas, it would rev, but not how she normally would.

I disconnected the MAF and she ran fine in limp mode. However, as I went for a short drive around the block, the engine was making a slight whistle noise. It sounded like a vacuum leak possibly? If i hit higher RPM's the whistle went away and then came back. Could it just be a loose seal?

So, my main question is, do you think the "new" MAF i got was faulty, or do i have a vacuum leaker, or is it both, or maybe even different stuff all together?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
drewmarc is offline   Reply With Quote