View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

I don't know/care what those guys would do, but I have been thinking about that myself. If I had room for more toys, I would build one of these.

I would probably start with an early base car, but using an S as a start would give you the better brakes and engine. Either would do. Basically, it would be a street legal spec Boxster with no cage, finished very nicely.

Suspension/chassis: Basically the full Tarrett spec Boxster kit Wihout the cage chassis flex will be noticable.

Brakes: Stock S with ABS, but NO PSM.

Wheels: "Square" setup 17x8.5 turbo twists or Fuchs wheels with very high performance, but streetable tires.

Engine: Performance tune, 987 airbox (factory system works great - I don't care for cone filters), underdrive pulley, no A/C, leave the rest alone. Lightweight street legal sport exhaust - even on a car like this I would hate exhaust drone.

Exterior: Stock or maybe GT3/Aerokit front bumper. No 991 conversions/etc. Should look factory. Litronics, but strip out the headlight washer system for weight. Fixed rear spoiler - maybe small ducktail spoiler integrated with fiberglass or carbon trunk lid or 987 Spyder-like integrated clamshell/trunk lid. NO skirts, or other add-ons. Ideally lids and doors and fenders would be carbon fiber for weight reduction. Must look like factory parts. No hood or trunk pins. No Dzus fasteners. NICE paint. Carbon panels should be painted. The undersides could be left as "naked" carbon, but exterior would be painted.

Remove the top and mechanism, but leave roll bar and color match to the car. Have a custom tonneau cover made. NO top.

Interior: Simple, simple, simple. No top means no need for windows. Custom smooth. but well made door panels with no visible fasteners. Simple door pull straps and latch pull. For seats I would have 996 GT3 seats or other simple, but nicely upholstered seats. Remove sound deadening, but leave carpet on the floor, possibly the center console area as well. Shifter can be fully visible (Numeric racing would be nice), but cover the cables Remove carpet and pad from rear firewall, but upholster with lightweight fabric (Alcantara?). Remove airbag system and install five-point harnesses. MAYBE leave a gutted climate control box with only heater/vent function and super simple, but factory looking controls (fan speed knob and cable adjuster for vent/temp doors. NO toggle switches - they are ugly. No sound system (use your phone and a bluetooth speaker if you must have music other than the engine. Nice three spoke fix steering wheel with no airbox. Leave column stalk controls. Simple pulls for trunk cables.

Dash. Either gut the existing dash to eliminate the airbag, speakers and center control stack, or ideally build a new carbon shell that is simple, but not a flat plate. Use stock or 996 cluster, with NO bezel, kind of like the 987 Spyder.

All in all, it would not be cheap, but it would be really fun. My guess is that it could easily cost $30k + the car to build. Seeing that a well built spec Boxster can be 2450lbs with a cage, fire suppression system, etc., I see no reason why you couldn't made this type of street Boxster at a similar weight. The one issue is that cages add a lot of structural rigidity and having that suspension might make for a noticeably flexy chassis. That kind of thing may lead to changes to make it more livable.

Sooo, that is my recipe. What is yours?

Last edited by Qmulus; 09-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote