View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
The Radium King

good stuff. i have all the bad habits listed and try to consciously work on them whenever i am at the track.

one other thing i have determined ... people talk about driving 10/10th. or driving at the limit. in that spirit i used to approach the limit cautiously. drive faster and faster until my car hit the limit, oversteer, then i would pull back. the oversteer would always come as a surprise, and my response would be reationary.

then i did a few laps in my car with a better driver driving. he would go out, find the limit, then immediately, consciously exceed it. the car would oversteer but he would know it was coming because he initiated it; he could anticipate it and be ready to respond. his line through the corner was a series of small oversteers and corrections.

driving this way, oversteer becomes the norm not something scary to avoid. you get a lot more practice responding to oversteer situations. realise that this can put you offline (wide) through a corner, so anticipate by aiming inside the apex a bit.

eventually you and your car hopefully get to a point where the oversteer is balanced against the understeer and you are working the full slip angle of your tires at all four corners.

otherwise, re your note on late throttle application, note also throttle lag - pushing down on the pedal takes a second or so before it turns into power at the wheels, which means you have to get on the throttle well before you actually want to have the power on which can be a bit unnerving until you get to know your cars habits.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote