View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
MNBoxster

Hi,

Mismatching tires front/rear won't cause the car to blow up, but the tires have different compounds, carcass construction, tread blocks, sidewall flex and varied characteristics. You may experience annoying handling, localized noise (1 axle louder than the other), wet traction issues, afterall, they are different tires - a mismatch. I would strongly advise against it.

Frankly, I'm very surprised a Porsche Dealer would endorse such a move. Tires are consumables and part of the game, as expensive as they are, you gotta pay-to-play.

Even changing one axle with identical tires can cause issues because of the difference in tread depths and tire flexibility between the new and the used ones on the opposite axle, but to a much lesser extent.

My recommendation is to either stick with the Pirellis or swap them all out. Absent that, be prepared to ditch the fronts in favor of a set of the new rears in short order when you experience some of the things mentioned.

Also, an alignment should not take anywhere near 4 hours. Don't give it to the dealer as this is not their specialty. Instead, take it to a qulaity, competant alignment shop specializing in Sports Cars in general or Porsches specifically. It'll be cheaper and the job will be done better. Be sure to get a 4-wheel, dynamic balance (Hunter 97XX series machine) prior to the alignment to insure getting everything spot-on. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote