View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #904
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ok, this thread has been a little slow this summer while I've been looking into a couple of racing opportunities that came my way and trying to decide what to do (I know, 1%'er problems for sure!)

The first opportunity that came along was to go endurance racing with a team that fields a Spec E46. I met the owner of the car earlier this year when I hired him to coach me and as we continued to keep in touch, he asked if I wanted to sell my Boxster and buy a Spec E46 or join him and share his car at endurance races.

This took me down the Spec E46 path pretty deeply and since one of my goals has always been to go racing around the country at some of the great tracks like Lime Rock, VIR, Daytona, COTA, Road America, etc., this looked like one way to make that happen. Plus, I have a great affinity to the BMW E46 after having previously owned two E46's. Great cars and fun to drive.

The second opportunity was to join my friend and previous POC Spec Boxster champion Alex Bermudez racing Spec Racer Ford (SRF) with the SCCA. A really nice SRF had become available where I could sell the Boxster, buy the SRF, and probably pocket some cash. If you're not familiar with SRF, here is an info link (Spec Racer Ford ) and a pic of Alex in his car;

After much thought and consideration, I ultimately decided to stay in Boxster Spec for the same reasons that I didn't move to an air-cooled 911 race car last year - I'm still not at the top of the Boxster Spec class so that means that I 'm still not ready to move up or out.

So, its back to Spec Boxster racing starting on Sept 9/10 at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana!

Tom,

You can still race all the cool tracks...

That's my plan for 2019. 2018 I'll start SPB, primarily after my daughter heads
off to school.

I will also race Chump/WRL endurance with my buddy in whatever he prepares as a semi-arrive and drive. Lots of seat time, team unity, good times.

I'm hoping over time there will be a group of SPB folks who "travel" so that there will be a camaraderie of road course warriors.

When you come to CoTA -- let me know!

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote