View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Nine8Six

You may have found the cause of the IMS failure, yay man!

That was quite a bit of unwanted vibration, geez :/ Good thing you got that done. No hope for that part though, seems formed then stamped. Meaning not a single pulley is the same. Lucky if you can find one that is concentric to the shaft loll. Slight offset on such thin material will wack out the shape of that part in less than 10k miles at revs... wouldn't surprised anyway.

If you are concerned about the shaft runout (TIR) just get an harbor freight mag base and a cheap dial indicator, no need for Japanese metrology there. My guess is if the shaft would be in such a bad shape it wouldn't sound like metallic rattling but more or less like metal crunching. Could be wrong

Some late advice I guess; I wouldn't use a hex wrench as locking tool, as per one of your video. You need the special tool for that part indeed, the rod shape one that fit snug in the pilot hole. Anything slightly unfit for this hole "could" bend the pulley easily when manual/uneven pressure is added to it (I mean look at this poor pulley)

hrrr Porsche sometimes lollllll

Nice write up btw (I'll chk mine also). Keep us informed