View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
AZ986S

Oil pressure and temp gauges

Here is a photo of the gauge and panel I custom made.

I have 2 switches: 1 for the Accusump and 1 for the radiator fans (high speed).
The orange pilot light on the bottom portion comes on when the Accusump is dumping (solenoid valve open). The left gauge is for oil temp, sender mounted on rear of the driver's side head. The right gauge is the oil pressure, sender mounted where the original pressure switch was mounted (passenger side front of head). These are VDO gauges. I originally wanted to install the Speedhut gauges, but they wanted 5 weeks to make and deliver them...

I tried to match the gauge bezel color with the instrument cluster gauge bezels (chrome), but the gauge bezels protrude way more than I like, so I might have to redo the faceplate with 48 mm dia holes to flush mount the gauges.

I wired the existing oil pressure switch wire that goes to the instrument cluster low oil pressure warning light in parallel to the oil pressure gauge warning light, so they both come on when oil pressure is below 7 psi. The issue I have now is that the lights come on when oil is at temp (190-200F), whereas it didn't before, so I assume the original pressure switch is set to something less than 7 psi.

Now that was annoying me, so I upgraded to latest oil pressure relief valve and spring, thinking the low oil pressure was caused by a broken spring or bound piston. On the upgraded parts, the spring is slightly longer and the piston has the bevel on top, but the old piston and springs looked just fine.

After installing this, no difference in the oil pressure, still around 7 psi at idle. I ordered 10 L of Motul 8100 Excess 5w40 oil as I have read that it is a very good track oil and it will probably bump up the idle pressure some. More to come...
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote