View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #200
Nine8Six

@fridsten
Q: What if you want the cheapest one, but also a licensed version of Windows?
A: You can activate them yourself over the phone

@algiorda
Q: I wonder if this will fit in my 981
A: Ah. You see, you should have never post about your new car along with that goodbye thing you did a few days ago LOL The kit is exclusive to 986forum’s Member only. Good news for you is I’ll have them on Amazon at some stage in 2018 (maybe) but man, won’t be cheap… more like $600~650 each. In all seriousness; the kit is standard 2DIN size. Fits pretty much any Porsche, Maserati, BMW, and of course the Prius (and soon to be installed in my Super Duper VW Lavida 1.4 TSI Sport Car).

@BruceH
Captain, this project was partly inspired by your iPad installation. Funny how things goes loll Although this one has root certificate store so you’ll be able to log in your airline VPN/Intranet and look at your flight manifest while on your way to work. Who knows, you might also be able to start-up your Jet’s turbo fan engines remotely also Can’t wait myself Bruce, hang on there bud :/

@Ben006
Q: Do you think it could be used to display live Data from the OBD port?
A: Yes – real-time. I got it working on the ELM327 (affordable Bluetooth dongle) and another USB-2-ODB kit that comes with a fast’er KLINE/buffer. Prices range between $10 (ELM327) and roughly $100 for the programmer kit (USB-TO-ODB). The challenge is to find the one that is right in between those two ($40~$50). Pay attention, and as Steve flagged, developers have access to the Intel CPU GPIO. So hopefully the chaps at “Best Porsche Tuning Corporation” will see this and come up with real-time mapping/tuning for our cars (read I’ll buy this stuff!). You obviously can have Durametric permanently connected and loaded also… if you have it.

Good to have you back with us Ben!! Luck with your new car, settling up and your upcoming tools buddy. If you need any sort of help/lathe tooling from this side of the world (or JP) you know where to find me brother

@PaulE
Q: Can I run it off of the 12V socket?
A: Friend Chad’s answer is spot-on. Actually runs off a 9V battery also, not for long (15~20min) but it does lollll. Any power source between 9~24VDC will power the unit (whether a battery, wall mounted adapter, whatever). The kit was designed for simplicity… all it needs is a Black(-) & Red(+) wires to work. For the car/automotive, it need to be hooked up to the switched accessory 12V. The built-in power supply will sense the power and boot up after 2 sec (allowing engine crank before). Once you turn off the ignition, the system does an immediate graceful shutdown (all automatic). You can set it to hibernate in the settings also (I’m 100% serious here).

@jrgill
Joe, thanks man, keep one for you. Got your PM also!

@ccjazz
Your ON!!!