Thread: lw carpets
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
The Radium King

lw carpets

welcome to my journey to nowhere.

i decided that i wanted to fabricate my own lightweight carpet set. the only retail thing i could find was a $1000+ kit from classic9 that isn't even on their website anymore.

i know nothing about carpets or upholstery. so, i thought why not just remove the insulation from the oem carpet? i don't care about the two pieces around the engine, as they are easily removed so can be pulled out at the track. so, just the floor carpet.

the thing is, with the insulation removed the carpet no longer forms to the floor. no biggie i figured, as i can just add some rennline track mats and look lightweight racer cool.

i got a cheap used boxster carpet and pulled the insulation off of half of it. then i hauled my bathroom scale into the garage to bask in all the weight i had saved. weight saved? 1.5 lbs. hmm, not that much at all!?!?!? i wonder what the trackmat weighs? 2.5 lbs.

golly.

do i want to add a pound and get a whole lot more road noise in return? nope, not even if it looks cool. i'll just keep the oem carpet, and continue to pull out the floor mats like old times.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote