View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #3651
KevinH1990

Upgraded My Seats Again

I installed seats from a 996TT that had been converted to a race car. They are heated and the seller said he removed them at 30,000 miles. The claimed mileage is consistent with the condition of the seats. There is very little wear and the material is supple.

The driver's seat is 12-way powered and the passenger seat is 8-way powered.

I was surprised that they were not both 12-way seats, until I found a price list that indicated the lumbar support (which is the difference between the 8 and 12-way seats) was a $385 option for each seat. I guess the original owner was more concerned with driver comfort than passenger comfort. The lumbar support is a nice upgrade.

The seller did not take great care with the removal of the seats and the electrical and mechanical parts on both seats were damaged. The driver's side require about two hours of rewiring, but the passenger seat was a challenge. Here are the pictures of the seats the seller sent me prior to the purchase. The passenger seat was torn from the base and the electrical wiring and control was damaged.

I spent about 4 hours trying to fix the damaged passenger seat. To save time, I decided to use the base from my 8-way passenger seat and just put the seat back and seat bottom from the new seats on my base. The leather was in slightly better condition than on my existing passenger seat, so it is a noticeable (but not huge) upgrade.

I plan to continue my attempt to repair the powered seat base from the 996TT. If I can figure out how to repair this seat base,

I may be able to sell on a pair of 8-way heated power seats in good condition. If not, I have a two-way (backrest powered only) seat base I can use. So, worst-case scenario is that will have a set of heated 8-way driver and 2-way passenger seats.

If anyone needs a seat upgrade, let me know.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote