View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
PaulE

With the car's low miles, if the clutch is working well and the clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel surface and release bearing look good, and the dual mass flywheel is within spec, I would re-use them all. Keep in mind this is free internet advice and I am not a mechanic. I had my IMSB replaced on my car at 42,000 miles and all of the clutch and flywheel components were in great shape and all went back in and are still going strong at almost 69,000 miles. Of course I bought the car brand new and all of the miles have been put on by me.

Based on my own experience, I would change the RMS even if it isn't leaking. When my IMSB was done, the RMS was bone dry, and my Indy advised and I agreed not to mess with it, but it started leaking about 6,000 miles later. Since you are going to have the IMSB done, that will require removal of the flywheel, a heavy piece that hangs off the back of the crankshaft. It is my unscientific and unproven theory that removing and replacing the flywheel "disturbs" the RMS. Porsche also recommends using new bolts to reinstall the flywheel. Another thing to consider is that Porsche came out with a few revisions to the RMS over the years. With so few miles, your car may have a very early version of the RMS which could be more likely to develop a leak even if it's not leaking now.

It sounds like you're thinking of doing the IMSB yourself. If you are, make sure you've got access to all the tools needed for the job and that you're up for it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote