View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
WhiteyII

So I picked up the car, truly magnificent, nearly flawless! I had the PPI done and car passed with flying color, well kinda. The owner of the car brought it to the appointment with the top down. Did I mention it was magnificent? The car was test driven, and pulled into the shop and up on the lift, oil and filter dropped, filter inspected and clean as a whistle thankfully. Refilled with 5W40 M1. There were no leaks of any kind and underneath of car very clean. Pulled cover back to inspect coolant recovery tank and it was fine. Tires and wheels were perfect with No curb rash at all. Computer was tapped with no codes, no over revs all was good.
Left with the owner for the DMV for a 30 day drive away permit. While there with him I said lets put the top up while we are inside. Pushed the top raise button and the top tried to go up all cattywompas, one of those deals you try it a couple times no good. Went in and got permit with wife staying with the car. Came out and brought it back to Porsche Indy that did PPI and said nicely I guess you didn't raise the top and he said I thought you had done that. So this is a Friday afternoon and its 2:30 PM, we agreed after a quick look they needed more time to fix and said Monday was the soonest. The PO agreed in writing to pay for the repairs so I paid him for the car. The Indy called on Monday stating the cable was bad a common problem (said inner cable speedo looking cable was made too short) he said but the transmission needed to be replaced as there was an update for new cables that would not work with current trans and you guessed it, he said you wouldn't want to run one old and one new and said they both needed to be replaced and quoted about $14 to $1500, PO agreed but not pleased
(he was/is an outstanding person!). Indy calls Tuesday stating there was a price increase and now it was about $1700 and parts had to come from 2 different Porsche distribution centers and parts would be Thursday and he would have it done same day. Thursday get the come get your car call at about 4:45PM. PO and I go for me to get car and for him to pay the invoice, got there and the $1700 turned into $2200 as he said they found a bent arm, OK PO not happy but paid the invoice. Go out to get car and I could notice one side of clam shell was a 1/4" higher than other side and could be pushed down but wouldn't stay down. Got the Indy owner who apologized but couldn't bring it in till the morning to figure it out as his techs had all left. Got the second come get your car call, picked up the car and all was finally good. He had found a bent pivot ball for one of the arms and replaced it. I drove the car back to Phoenix area 1960 miles with no problems at all 80MPH and averaged 24.9 MPG. Did I mention it is a magnificent car?
I know this is a long post but one more opinion request, I'm ordering the LN IMS kit and will do it in the next couple weeks, remembering the car has now only 12K miles now and came with a complete extra clutch set, do I use it and replace the non leaking RMS as well while I'm there? Clutch seems perfect to me.
Ill put some picks up as soon as I can I'm away for the next week.
Thanks Dave
WhiteyII is offline   Reply With Quote