View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
derfo

Cool Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
The seal is supposed to keep the grease in and other stuff out. Even heated liquefied grease should stay in there to some extent. I just wonder why when these are taken apart there is no grease, only oil.

It seems like there has to be some factor other than simple heat that would remove all the grease and substitute oil. Air expands and contracts with heat, this creates pressure in a sealed system, or movement of fluids/gasses in a system with a leak. I think the bearing seals are that leak and the action of the air pulls oil through the bearing over and over washing the grease completely away. Remove the air reservoir and (hopefully) the problem is solved.

I could well be wrong, but most analysis of the IMS looks at the grease washout as a given, and tries to solve the problem from there by throwing fancy bearings at it. I want to go back one step and solve the grease washout problem so the fancy bearing is not needed.

regards,

Silber
Hello Silber
I don't think you can remove the air reservoir from a bearing. They are never fully packed with grease, for a number of reasons.
If you look to the other end of the IMS shaft what do you see, a simple plain bearing. Never any problems at that end. Personally I think a plain bearing is the way to go, oil fed of course. I know as well as most there is one on the market
but wouldn't be a big deal for an engineer with a lathe to make one.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote