View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Hello Silber
I don't mind reading these type of thread's. I just had a thought about the grease in the bearing, would it not wash out anyway with the heat down there. I wouldn't have thought the grease would have been in there for long, unless it was some type of grease I dont know about. Just a thought.

The seal is supposed to keep the grease in and other stuff out. Even heated liquefied grease should stay in there to some extent. I just wonder why when these are taken apart there is no grease, only oil.

It seems like there has to be some factor other than simple heat that would remove all the grease and substitute oil. Air expands and contracts with heat, this creates pressure in a sealed system, or movement of fluids/gasses in a system with a leak. I think the bearing seals are that leak and the action of the air pulls oil through the bearing over and over washing the grease completely away. Remove the air reservoir and (hopefully) the problem is solved.

I could well be wrong, but most analysis of the IMS looks at the grease washout as a given, and tries to solve the problem from there by throwing fancy bearings at it. I want to go back one step and solve the grease washout problem so the fancy bearing is not needed.

regards,

Silber
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote