View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #40
Bilmar72
Bilmar72

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
If the extractor design pushes against the gear, the sprocket assy could be pushed deeper along the tube.Or .... Not good.
I agree with you. Just use the same tool that has worked thousands of times for this specific and unique task. Guinea pig Threads are always interesting and cn be valuable when new parts/tools/techniques are shared.
Good luck with your bearing choice.
Long ago there was a disaster Thread on this subject where an infamous Poster used a self-selected bearing against the advice of the Bearing distributor. If you search "Boca Bearing" it may come up.
Here it is. A classic , best-of-intentions goes badly wrong Rennlist gem.
All I am doing is trying to help the P.O. make a fully informed choice about the many gotchas in this subject.They have all been covered in scattered Posts here but maybe it is futile to help.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/929113-i-bought-kk-s-car-long-story-5.html
Finding a good bearing substitute is easy catalog work.
Finding and installing one that works well is another story.
Me too, just providing another view such that a member may be fully informed before making a decision. Certainly not "trying to present tired opinions and recommendations on LN products". I thought a range of opinions was the point of a forum. Having said that, whilst I have no connection with LN I am mystified as to why they cop so much criticism on the forums. They make a great product but it is priced beyond many budgets. That's fine, don't buy from them. But why bag them.

And when I see suggestions of using a slide hammer to pull these bearings, whowa!

As to bearing choice, remember Porsche themselves read a bearing catalogue and look where that got them!

Overall though I take my hat off to anyone who works on these engines, they are beautiful pieces of engineering but they do need thought and care. Good luck to all.
Bilmar72 is offline   Reply With Quote