View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #33
Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
The IMS isn't rotating at crankshaft 7.000 rpm. The camshafts are rotating at 3.500 rpm when the crankshaft is at 7.000 rpm (4 stroke engine). So because the IMS seems to have the same gearwheel diameter (didn't count the teeth, so i don't know exactly) as the cams i would say it rotates at around the same rpms as the cams and not as the same rpms as the crankshaft.

That means you have to look for an extreme high speed capable IMSB.
The one i have chosen is very high speed capable, reference speed of 17k RPM.

However, I think you may have it backwards. Since the camshaft turns at half the speed of the crank, the RPM I have to worry about is 3500 max not a high rpm Max. That will make the grease last even longer and the bearing in general last even longer.

I am thinking since I'm going with the sealed bearing, the oil splashing around in the crankcase won't make too much of a difference. That is the hope anyway. I selected sealed because that will keep the high performance grease intact the longest AND keep small particles away from the bearing. I just cannot see putting an open bearing in the sump of the engine where all of the junk ends up. If you could do it oil fed without it being exposed to sump oil, that would be good, but you can't it's sitting smack dab in the sump, imho it will get particles in it if there are any there to float in.

I'm also thinking as my engine has 115,000 miles on it, and this SKF hybrid IMS bearing I am selecting has a calculated life of 350,000 miles, even if I went with half that, 175,000 miles, that puts me out to 290,000 miles on this engine. Basically a lifetime solution. I may just let it ride and see if I can get a lifetime out of the one bearing. This is assuming I don't find any more information out about the bearing that limits its lifespan compared to what I've seen so far in the documentation.

Then again, with how much I love preventative maintenance, if I am in there for some other reason I may just replace it if it is close to the hundred thousand mile mark.

And finally, thank you to all for the encouragement. It's nice to know that I am contributing, regardless of Final result.

Regards,

Silber

Last edited by Silber; 07-23-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote