View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #27
mikefocke

In my 20s I had owned 2 Alfa roadsters (1.3 and 1.5) and a '70 914-4. I got serious, got married, drove boring cars. After all the bills were paid my wife asked me "you have been looking in the classifieds for years, why don't you go buy one". So I started out sitting in and driving any sports car available. Many I dismissed within a few miles, some in a few blocks. I was looking for something I could enjoy every day and traffic had gotten to the point where, to do that, an automatic was needed.

I saw an ad for a Boxster in the next state over and drove over to see it. 2 miles and I knew. '99, first one I drove. Put a deposit down and went home to get a driver to transfer the car. Came back to pay and found her kids had driven their bikes against the side and seemingly scratched the side. Settled on an amount to fix it. I took it home, polished out the scratches and pocketed the "professionals" estimate. Loved it. 4 months later I totaled it and the insurance company paid me more than they knew I paid for it. I bought a '01S with snow on the ground. Drove it as a DD for several years until I retired and found it getting maybe 500 miles a year and me living 50 miles from any P-car mechanic. Time to sell. Sold in 3 hours from posting on CL. I've tracked it since through its 4th and 5th owner and about 95k last I heard.

Both of the cars were stunningly reliable and tremendous fun. If I had a three car garage, I'd buy another.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote